Nail Art Tutorial – Autumn Leaves
Autumn is definitely on the way and the colour palette change is visible everywhere, from nature to fashion. During this time of year rich, deep colours such as burgundy seem to be the centre of attention but what if you are craving a bit of bright colour and sparkle? No problem! This tutorial will show you how to create a sparkly autumn leaf nail design so don’t say goodbye to those reds and oranges just yet!
Here are a few things that you will need to rock this design and the best thing? You have most of them at home already!
You will need:
• A few ear buds (for clean-up)
• A striping brush
• A pair of tweezers
• A piece of bath sponge cut in into small chunks (or any sponge you have! Try a make-up or washing up sponge)
• A clean-up brush
• A few red, orange and sparkly polishes (or any colours that scream autumn leaves to you! Don’t be scared to mix and match and have fun)
Now that you have all your tools and polishes let’s get started!
1. Start with a coat of white polish and wait for it to dry.
2. Apply a drop of red polish on a sandwich bag. I’m using Miss Sporty 4286. Pick up a small piece of sponge with your tweezers and coat it in the polish. Dab it on your nail. TIP: to make the colour stand out more go over the splashes a few times.
3. Using a light orange polish (Miss Selene 259), colour in all the white gaps.
4. Apply a few dabs of darker orange polish (Golden Rose 50).
5. Use the same red polish again and gently dab all over the nail to make the colours blend together nicely.
6. Add a bit of sparkle! I used Barry M Mediterranean and OPI You’re So Flippy Floppy.
7. Start creating leaf veins. Using a striping brush draw a line in the middle. You can use a black polish for a more dramatic look but I opted for a beige (Barry M Lychee).
8. Add a few lines on both sides of your nail. Don’t worry about making them straight. A slightly wavy line makes the design look more authentic.
9. Finish off the design by adding a few more veins and apply top coat.
And that’s it! Use a few ear buds and a brush to clean up all the mess. Alternatively try a latex liquid tape. Don’t be scared to try a few polishes and see what works best. To make things easier, use different shades of the same colour. This will make the blending of colours less tricky. The best thing about this technique is that it’s very forgiving. You don’t have to be very precise to rock some awesome sparkly autumn leaf nails!
Here’s what the finished design looks like. What do you think? Will you give it a go this season? Feel free to leave a comment below…